:: Re: [DNG] Boot hangs with usb disk …
Author: richard lucassen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Boot hangs with usb disk active in fstab
On Sun, 14 Jun 2020 08:21:51 +0200
"J. Fahrner via Dng" <dng@???> wrote:

> Am 2020-06-13 22:10, schrieb richard lucassen via Dng:
> > I have no idea. But mountall is in runlevel S, not 2. What if you
> > mount it explicitely in a temporary script
> > called /etc/rcS.d/99mount.sh ? That
> > is before runlevel 2 starts.
>
> Looks like it has something to do with huge_file support:
> https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-905312-start-0.html

Yes, I already ran into such an issue a few years ago. I mounted a disk
created ext4 with a newer Debian on a machine running an older Debian
and it would not mount (at all). I looked it up in a script I made and
for me it was the metadata_csum option that was inserted by the newer
Debian and the old one did not support this. So the trick was to format
the disk without that option:

---------- 8< -------------

mkfs.ext4 -O '^metadata_csum' /dev/mmcblk0p3 </usr/bin/yes || exit 1

---------- 8< -------------

Did you format the disk with a newer system than the system you run it
on? So, I wonder what happens if you remove the huge_file option

tune2fs -O '^huge_file' /dev/disk

The ^ means you remove it IIRC. And be sure you have no files bigger
than 2TB. I strongly recommend to create a backup before playing with
tune2fs ;-)

R.

--
richard lucassen