:: Re: [DNG] Ascii to Beowulf upgrade …
Author: Riccardo Mottola
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ascii to Beowulf upgrade - 32% slowdown !
Hi,

On 6/12/20 9:21 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
>> Maybe try ;https://make-linux-fast-again.com/ kerneloptions to
>> disable all spectre and meltdown stuff
> I hope you mean the preceding as a diagnostic test and not as a
> solution.

first, diagnostic on what is slowing down and stealing performance in
such a significant way.

second, it could be also acceptable as a solution: If a system like
laptop is not running multi-user, no virtual machines and you consider
the software running trusted, where are the risks? I think only in the
browser which runs "unknown" and "untrusted" stuff: The only attack
surface would be JavaScript (or Java, Flash or similar). If, from what I
read, the browser removed high resolution timers, timing attacks needed
to exploit these bugs are unlikely.

Am I simplifying too much and overseeing some holes?

Riccardo