:: Re: [DNG] Ascii to Beowulf upgrade …
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Ascii to Beowulf upgrade - 32% slowdown !
On Sun, Jun 14, 2020 at 08:46:48AM +0200, Riccardo Mottola via Dng wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 6/12/20 9:21 PM, Steve Litt wrote:
> > > Maybe try ;https://make-linux-fast-again.com/ kerneloptions to
> > > disable all spectre and meltdown stuff
> > I hope you mean the preceding as a diagnostic test and not as a
> > solution.
>

> first, diagnostic on what is slowing down and stealing performance in such a
> significant way.
>
> second, it could be also acceptable as a solution: If a system like laptop
> is not running multi-user, no virtual machines and you consider the software
> running trusted, where are the risks? I think only in the browser which runs
> "unknown" and "untrusted" stuff: The only attack surface would be JavaScript
> (or Java, Flash or similar). If, from what I read, the browser removed high
> resolution timers, timing attacks needed to exploit these bugs are unlikely.
>
> Am I simplifying too much and overseeing some holes?

Even if you will not run your system airgapped in production, it might
be worth running it airgapped without mitigation as a diagnostic to see
if mitigation is really the problem. If it is, you know the situation
and can restore mitigation before you connect to the world. If it
isn't, you know to look elsewhere.

-- hendrik