:: Re: [DNG] Debian abandons LSB
Author: Alessandro Vesely
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian abandons LSB

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base#Limitations_on_Debian

>>> lsb (9.20150826) unstable; urgency=low
>>>
>>> This update drops all lsb-* compatibility packages, and is therefore an
>>> abandon of the pursuit of LSB compatibility for Debian. Only lsb-release and
>>> lsb-base are kept as they continue to be used throughout the archive.
>
> Note the date. You're mentioning a change that's 5 years old, much
> predating Stretch and Buster.
>
> What's left in Debian are bits that are actually used by some programs.

Such as the LSB headers in init scripts?

Some SysV init maintainers have very strict opinions on those headers,
considered a language for the insserv "compiler". They horrified at the idea
that a sysadmin could still manually number some links in rc?.d, thereby
rejecting the idea of stable renumbering in order to keep existing order where
possible (fix-init).

Best
Ale