:: Re: [DNG] Debian abandons LSB
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Debian abandons LSB
On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 04:04:33PM +0100, Simon Hobson wrote:
> While upgrading a system to Beowulf, I noticed this in the changelogs.
> Is this one of those "it was fizzling out anyway so no big deal" things, or another policy change by Debian ? Not really bothered, just curious.

LSB was a project by some RPM-based distributions, and was never strongly
followed by Debian. And, it's dead now -- the last upstream release was
on June 3, 2015.

> > lsb (9.20150826) unstable; urgency=low
> >
> > This update drops all lsb-* compatibility packages, and is therefore an
> > abandon of the pursuit of LSB compatibility for Debian. Only lsb-release and
> > lsb-base are kept as they continue to be used throughout the archive.

Note the date. You're mentioning a change that's 5 years old, much
predating Stretch and Buster.

What's left in Debian are bits that are actually used by some programs.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ in the beginning was the boot and root floppies and they were good.