:: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 random re…
Author: Merlijn Wajer
To: Pavel Machek, Tony Lindgren
CC: maemo-leste, nekit1000, mpartap, sre, martin_rysavy
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Droid 4 random reboots, battery charging issues
Hi Pavel,

On 02/06/2020 22:09, Merlijn Wajer wrote:
> Hi Pavel,
>
> On 02/06/2020 21:42, Pavel Machek wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I tried Leste + unicsy demo overnight twice... found out just Leste
>> running in the morning, and short uptime -> it rebooted during
>> night. In both cases it was on battery power.
>>
>> I remember reboots on self compiled versions, too. OTOH... OTOH I
>> believe it was stable when on USB power. Let me check.
>
> We've been debugging this for a few days on IRC. Tony also posted
> various patches that should help, there might be more issues remaining,
> but it looks like timeouts reading battery and thermal drivers reporting
> abnormal values are both part of the problem, and then there was a pm
> issue in serial that caused panics on reboot/poweroff, which in turned
> caused the watchdog to reset the device.
>
> This is a very short summary, and I'm not sure if the issue is fixed
> yet, but we're trying various things.

The random reboots should be fixed with latest -devel kernel.

Also, unicsy-demo is packaged now. Version 0.5.2 -- please let me know
if it's working for you.

Also, ... I've packaged a droid4 keyboard layout, and also support for
the virtual keyboard special keys. You can see kind of what the third
level layout is, here:

https://github.com/maemo-leste/bugtracker/issues/347#issuecomment-640127353

If you dare, 'apt install leste-config-droid4' and 'apt upgrade' should
get you there. (on -devel) Might need to reboot to get it all applied.

Then 'OK' + 'shift' (control key, really) should get you the special
keys in the terminal. And 'OK' + a key with a third level should type
that key. So 'OK' + '.' = ':' now. With shift it's currently '>'.

xkb-data changes are here:
https://github.com/maemo-leste/xkb-data/commits/master

There's also a newer ofono in there with Tony's change for sim detection.

Now trying to get the data plugin in decent enough shape so that it too
can be in -devel. Then alsa UCM file for droid4.

>> Plus... we really need to do something about "battery full" detection.
>>
>> I'm watching Leste connected to USB charger: 0.00A for 3 seconds 1
>> second charging, 3 seconds off, 7 seconds charging, .... That's bad
>> bad bad -- it will shorten battery lifespan. We should really stop
>> charging the battery and power the phone from the USB.
>
> Agreed, I think this is the right thing to do as well.

Do you have patches for this, btw?

Cheers,
Merlijn