:: Re: [DNG] kernel instabilities
Author: Riccardo Mottola
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] kernel instabilities
Hi all

let me resurrect this thread. I am now working on this computer regular,
lockdown has lessened here in Italy and I hope all you Devuaners are in
good help.

Unfortunately stability did not improve much

On 3/18/20 4:28 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> (1) Do we even know it's a kernel problem?
> (2) They don't seem to be specific to a particular kernel;  Of course
>      they might have entirely different causes.
> (3) Is Debian having similar probems?
> (4) Might it be something in the way the kernel is being used?
>      Perhaps something takes over the mouse, touchpad, and keyboard so that
>      the user becomes helpless?
> (5) Surely there is some relevant partial shutdown, dumping,
>      and/or logging procedure that would provide clues?

We know it is a kernel problem since I can boot 4.9.0-11 boots fine
(typing right now) while 4.9.0-12 crashes very soon (sometimes you can
get to X and it freezes right thereafter) but most often it freezes
directly at boot.

It is a hard freeze.

My CPU is:

model name    : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU         T7200  @ 2.00GHz

I just tried adding "contrib" to my repositories and I see intel
microcode is available, I hope it helps.

Do you know how this "update" works? will it be applied also when
running older kernels?

I do not see it applied in dmesg when running 4.9.0-11

grep "microcode updated early to"

returns nothing.

Also I wonder if when running 4.9.0-12 it is applied early enough and if
it would help at all.

I tried running 4.9.0-12  in recovery mode and I see the crash of the
kernel.

(I did attach a screenshot, but it cannot fit inside the 40K of this
mailing list, so I am removing it)

Riccardo