:: Re: [DNG] Mixing different init ben…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Shepherd [was Re: Mixing different init benefits: was: without-systemd.org not working]
Subject: Re: [DNG] Mixing different init benefits: was: without-systemd.org not working
On Tue, 26 May 2020 17:51:20 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

> Le 26/05/2020 à 10:26, Steve Litt a écrit :
> > On Mon, 25 May 2020 10:08:17 -0700
> > Ian Zimmerman <itz@???> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2020-05-21 14:09, Steve Litt wrote:

> > Thanks for pointing out Shepherd.
> >
>     +1.
>
>     Questions and remarks:
>
>     How much can one trust a program written in the Guile language and
> running as PID1 as suggested?

My experimentations with Guile
( http://troubleshooters.com/codecorn/scheme_guile/index.htm ) produced
no results indicating any kind of intermittent or unexpected behavior
in Guile.

Guile is pure functional programming: With a few eceptions (like
printing), there is no state and no side effects. Loops are done with
recursion, best done with tail recursion. There is a purity of function
unavailable from OOP bolt-ons like C++, Perl, and to a lesser extent
Python. Anyone understanding recursion, functional programming and
lambdas can handle Guile, at least for reasonably simple code. As long
as the Guile interpreter is available on a mounted drive in early boot,
I see no reason for caution about Guile.

I think 80% of us grew up with Procedural or OOP languages and are
familiar with them. Just like OOP requires different thought patterns
than procedural, functional languages require (much) different thought
patterns than Procedural or OOP. So Guile might prove a challenge to
some, not because it's defective or complex in any way, but because
functional programming requires much different thought patterns.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist