:: Re: [DNG] without-systemd.org not w…
Author: Peter Duffy
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Mixing different init benefits: was: without-systemd.org not working
Subject: Re: [DNG] without-systemd.org not working
If LP doesn't see the obvious benefit of making systemd optional, I
can't see that he'd go to the trouble of creating a plug-and-play setup
to allow alternatives to systemd to get in on the act. (Would a dictator
suggest the tryout of other political systems, to see how they stacked
up against autocracy?)

I think that the thing that I found tantalising was the idea of sniffing
what systemd tried to do, and then deciding whether or not to do it, and
what responses to send back to systemd. I had a mental image of a
convicted gangster directing the mob from his or her prison cell -
he/she can give out the instructions, but is entirely dependent on what
feedback is relayed from outside the jail. ("The Taking of Pelham 123" -
they're trying to get the money to the subway station before any more
hostages get shot, and aren't going to make it. In a flash of
inspiration, Garber, the train dispatcher, realises that the crooks have
no way of knowing what's happening on the surface, so tells them the
money's arrived before it actually does).

One possible real benefit of a glue/abstraction/jail layer did occur to
me. Eventually, it would itself become an init system, with a
distillation of (hopefully) the best bits of all the init systems which
had used it.

I totally agree re. PID1 and the need for simplicity. Maybe I should
just get out more (eventually, anyway ;) )