:: Re: [DNG] Device naming: was Felker…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Device naming: was Felker Init: was without-systemd.org not working
Quoting Ian Zimmerman (itz@???):

> Last year I nearly lost all my image and audio data, some 100G. I guess
> that's small potatoes today, but anyway _very_ valuable to me. It
> happened because I gave the wrong /dev/sd* name in a dd command when I
> was putting something on a stick, maybe it was Tails or something like
> it. If only I had listened to my nagging inner voice and looked at
> /dev/disk/by-id first, I'd have been okay.

I'm a lot more concerned about servers, personally, and am not going to
permit overengineered software on my server just because someone
couldn't bother looking at 'dmesg | tail' before running dd against an
SD card.

(I do detachable backups to external USB hard drives, and make a point of
doing 'dmesg | tail' before mounting, to make sure it really is
/dev/sdc1 this time.)

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen            Diaeresis:  Keeping the cow out of co-worker since 700 AD.