:: Re: [DNG] Device naming: was Felker…
Author: tuxd3v
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Device naming: was Felker Init: was without-systemd.org not working
Citando Ian Zimmerman <itz@???>:

> On 2020-05-16 13:10, Rick Moen via Dng wrote:
>> I meant multiple subtrees of device node files classified in lots
>> of different and overlapping ways, by-uuid, and on and on.
>
> I'll take that one :-P
>
> Last year I nearly lost all my image and audio data, some 100G. I guess
> that's small potatoes today, but anyway _very_ valuable to me. It
> happened because I gave the wrong /dev/sd* name in a dd command when I
> was putting something on a stick, maybe it was Tails or something like
> it. If only I had listened to my nagging inner voice and looked at
> /dev/disk/by-id first, I'd have been okay.
>
> (I later recovered pretty much everything with photorec, much recommended.)

photorec.. its the last resort, and you can recover some information
with it, but prepare yourself for lots of pain :)

Anyway, this blind uuid generation is something crazy, and foolish..

If you only have 1 ethernet interface, 1 hard drive, and so on, you
need it for what?
your system will have always the same name attributed( you only have
one option.. )

You see that in the embedded space,
When majority of boards only have 1 ethernet port, but you got names
like 'wlanxyzwqrlng'..

Its absurd,
It doesn't even validate the amount of attributes of same type, it
blindly use "cryptographic names"..
RaspberryPi ones ...are just crazy..:'ENXB827EBA8D596'

This is a security flaw for humans, as you can't distinguish sh**T
with this naming's..
And probably will commit  a serious mistake some day..

Best Regards,
tux