:: Re: [DNG] Device naming: was Felker…
Author: Ian Zimmerman
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Device naming: was Felker Init: was without-systemd.org not working
On 2020-05-16 13:10, Rick Moen via Dng wrote:

> I meant multiple subtrees of device node files classified in lots
> of different and overlapping ways, by-uuid, and on and on.

I'll take that one :-P

Last year I nearly lost all my image and audio data, some 100G. I guess
that's small potatoes today, but anyway _very_ valuable to me. It
happened because I gave the wrong /dev/sd* name in a dd command when I
was putting something on a stick, maybe it was Tails or something like
it. If only I had listened to my nagging inner voice and looked at
/dev/disk/by-id first, I'd have been okay.

(I later recovered pretty much everything with photorec, much recommended.)

--
Ian