:: Re: [maemo-leste] Grand plan to get…
Author: Merlijn Wajer
To: Pavel Machek, Tony Lindgren
CC: maemo-leste, nekit1000, mpartap, sre, martin_rysavy, Ivaylo Dimitrov, Arthur D.
Subject: Re: [maemo-leste] Grand plan to get make phones... phone (for Motorola Droid 4)
Hi,

So I've been using Pavel's ofono and sending and receiving SMS worked
last night, and it still works this morning. So that's good news.

On 14/05/2020 18:14, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

>>> No, I believe I have the basics working. (But disable the PIN code for
>>> testing.)
>>
>> In the ofono branch I pushed out, all the signal handling and sim card
>> stuff is handled by the qmimodem code. Seems like those notifications
>> too are hardwired to the motorolamodem serial port also, and at least
>> a notification handler would be needed for motorolamodem to pass the
>> handling to the qmimodem like I added for incoming sms.
>>
>> Seems like Pavel has the signal stuff mostly parsed already, so there's
>> probably no need to even pass it to the qmimodem eventually :)
>
> I got signal strength, LAC and CID. I don't have operator name (etc)
> at the moment.

Operator name would be useful, for UI purposes.

>> Yeah that should allow you to work on the GUI stuff for basic features
>> and then Pavel and I can continue working on getting more complete
>> motorolamodem support in place.

From a feature perspective, a basic Sim Manager would be very helpful
for me. All the Maemo code relies on knowing is the SIM is there or not,
so currently, while the modem works fine, the UI just tells me "no sim",
and doesn't render signal strength or anything else.

Another feature, which perhaps might not be too much work, is using
qmimodem for data connection contexts. Tony already had that in his
ofono, so maybe it's not too hard to plug that in... I don't know. Maybe
the SimManager can also come from qmimodem for now, but I'm a little
reluctant to suggest that given some of the trouble we've had with it
earlier not reporting any status updates - but it worked for the SIM
card before, so maybe it's fine...

Going to toy with this a bit more, but it's exciting.

I ended up executing this to disable strength notifications every few
seconds (we'll probably only want to do that when the screen is off.):

printf "U9999AT+SCRN=0\r" > /dev/gsmtty1

And this to enter low power mode:

qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-set-operating-mode=low-power
qmicli -d /dev/cdc-wdm0 --dms-set-operating-mode=online

Now it's online, receives SMS instantly, and uses about 60-70mW in idle.
That's to me at the point where I can just carry it around and not worry
about having to plug it in often.

My next steps will be:

1. Looking to see if this all gets through to telepathy.
2. Try to call using telepathy.
3. Probably see what's needed to have mce vibrate, unlock the screen and
make sound when being called, or when a SMS is received.
4. Look at (basic) phone and sms UI.

Then there's still the issue of sound profiles, but I think with a
combination of alsa UCM (to make life easier) and pulseaudio we should
be able to get there without too much pain.

Cheers,
Merlijn