:: Re: [DNG] A way of holding telephon…
Author: Rod Rodolico
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] A way of holding telephone-conferences with DEVUAN?
Did a little test of Jitsi tonight. First thing is there were no
appreciable cpu or memory requirement increase when multiple users are
connected in a session. However, bandwidth is a consideration. These
readings are from the server.

Started with two users. Bandwidth was at around 8Mb/s, pretty evenly
divided between up and down.

Added third user and the bandwidth went to 15Mb/s again fairly evenly
divided with 8M incoming and 7M outgoing.

The fourth user was having issues with their network connection at their
home, but we saw the bandwidth jump to 20Mb/s for a brief period; too
short for Zabbix to graph (it does 5 minute averages). When the fourth
user disconnected, bandwidth dropped back to 16Mb/s.

Finally, with three users, one user dropped their camera quality
(through the Jitsi interface) to "Low", with an almost immediate drop
from 15-16Mb/s to 13Mb/s. The other two followed suit, dropping their
image quality and we were able to achieve 12Mb/s.

We then stopped the test. Again, not as much information as I would have
preferred, but it gives an indication to those who were wanting to
install a video server on their own machines with limited bandwidth.
Changing image quality is on a per-user basis, on their individual
connection; I'm not aware of any way to do that on the server. However,
there is a lot I don't know about this system.

Rod