:: Re: [DNG] The real reason I like Li…
Author: Dan Purgert
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] The real reason I like Linux
On Mar 17, 2020, terryc wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Mar 2020 21:29:51 -0400
> Dan Purgert <dan@???> wrote:
>
> > I guess what I'm trying to ask is what would be so bad about a "RISC-V
> > Hobby Linux Machine(tm)" only offering these "older" peripheral
> > connectivity interfaces in interests of being inexpensive and also
> > preserving end-user freedom?
> >
> > Or ... maybe I'm just a bit crazier than I thought.
>
> Probably <VBG>.
> The question is exactly what peripherals were you thinking on running
> off it? Some examples from here;

I think you may have misinterpreted "older" in this context.

> My PIO NEC Pinwriter printers, which are very nice for textt and basic
> graphic output, suffer from lack of ribbons because the driver foam in
> the ribbon cartridges have dis-intergrated with age.
>
> My PIO/SIO Gestetner Canon SX2 laser printer has flat rollers.
>
> I shudder to think what the condition of my QIC (PIO) & DAT tapes (SCSI
> is like. It is bad enough that the DLT-IV drives are both cactus and
> will cost more to repair than purchasing a new LTO-6 drive.

Yeah, you're definitely thinking significantly older than I am here.

What about say limiting ourselves to "PCI"? Just taking a quick spin
through newegg, it appears that basically the only unavailable item is a
WLAN adapter.

Hard drives -> SATA150 or PATA(!!)
Ethernet -> 10/100/1000
USB -> 2.0
Graphics -> OK, this might be a nonstarter

> [...]
> So, even if it was built, there is probably going to be negligible
> demand for it for that reason.

To be fair, even if it had the newest of the new, demand for a RISC-V
box will be negligible when compared to Dell or HP ...

--
|_|O|_|