:: Re: [DNG] ibus
Author: Dr. Nikolaus Klepp
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] ibus
Anno domini 2020 Tue, 17 Mar 10:27:11 +0100
Didier Kryn scripsit:
>     Hey, did you hear of ibus?
>
>     I installed a video-conferencing app on monday, to possibly join a
> meeting. It came with plenty of dependencies, including something called
> "ibus". There is a Debian packege for it available on Devuan.
>
>     According to the poor man page and online documentation, this is an
> "Intelligent Input Bus". AFAIU, it is a layer between keyboard
> keystrokes, mouse-moves and mouse-clicks and the input to an application
> - all user inputs merged in one channel. The goal is to plug into it
> various interfaces to express complex characters and/or ideograms by
> composing several keystrokes. Kind of keyboard to Unicode interface.
> Excellent idea if this was done by using just a command and piping the
> output to the application needing it.
>
>     It is implemented on both Mac (therefore free-BSD), and Linux.
> Dunno how it is made on Free-BSD, but on Linux it is - guess what - a
> daemon!, further more, applications must talk to this daemon through -
> guess what - Dbus!
>
>     I discovered this because, after a reboot, this daemon, normally
> unseen, suddenly popped up a small window on my desktop to remind me
> that the new keystroke to perform wtf was shift-space. Actually this
> daemon was sitting there all the time.
>
>     I addition, it turned my English keyboard to a US one. Not the real
> keyboard, of course, but the key mapping, when I type a double-quote, I
> get an arrowbas!
>
>     <parenthesis>I like US keyboard because I started writing programs
> 40 years ago when there was only US keyboards and ASCII, but it is
> impossible to buy an HP laptop with a US keyboard in France; you can
> only buy one with a keyboard of any European type or Saoudian. I chose
> UK which is the closest to US.</parenthesis>
>
>     After uninstalling ibus, and dependencies, my keyboard mapping is
> correct again.
>
>     There's now a fashion of doing all innovations in a complicated
> way. It seems developpers have become unable to think simple. This is
> terribly disapointing.
>
>         Didier

Oh my, that pestilence still has not died? I rember ages ago I was tempted to use it as an "easy" way to inject mouse+keyboard events from userspace program into X11. Turned out, it was an overcomplicated way to solve a problem that "xdotool" has solved already.

Nik