:: Re: [DNG] The real reason I like Li…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] The real reason I like Linux
On Sat, 14 Mar 2020 14:51:51 +0100
aitor <aitor_czr@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 13/3/20 4:24, onefang wrote:
> > After implementing some of their protocols, I started calling
> > FreeDesktop.Org FatDesktop.Obscenities.
> After reading some comments on this thread, i decided to develop also
> another interface of simple-netaid without X-Windows.
> And I started it this morning using the CDK (Curses Development Kit),
> based on ncurses:
>
> https://tldp.org/HOWTO/NCURSES-Programming-HOWTO/
>
> For now, there will be the following packages of simple-netaid:
>
> - libnetaid (the shared library).
>
> - simple-netaid-cdk (using ncurses).
>
> - simple-netaid-gtk (using gtk2, and maybe also gtk3).
>
> I wonder if i should also work on another interface developed in
> qt5...
>
> What do you think about?

All of these are good ideas, but if it were me, I'd prioritize
simple-netaid-dmenu, in which all from-list selection and all user
input is done via dmenu.

Gtk2, Gtk3, qt5, and ncurses are all fairly big libraries. Dmenu is
tiny and depends only on X, for the simplicity lovers among us. Also,
simple-netaid-dmenu would be best for the keyboard adept.

If you do this, I'd suggest you make the typeface, fontsize, and colors
configurable, and default the typeface to Ubuntu Mono Bold, which seems
ubiquitous.

Simple-netaid-dmenu wouldn't be pretty, but would be simple and
lightning fast for the keyboard-adept.

Naturally, I'll help test it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2020 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb