:: Re: [DNG] Alternatives to synaptic?
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Alternatives to synaptic?
Quoting Andreas Messer (andi@???):

> Back to topic: I personally stick with apt or aptitude but since the
> the family sticks more or less to GUI, I have also installed
> "muon". It is Qt/KDE based and is quite similar to aptitude. I didn't like
> synaptic since it performs too much "background" magic as I'd tolerate.

I just wanted to mention a nice little command-line wrapper around
apt-get, apt-cache, and related commands developed by the antiX
developers (called cli-aptiX), that is said to be in some ways similar
to Synaptic.

http://download.tuxfamily.org/antix/docs-antiX-19/FAQ/cli_aptix.html

Browsing the rest of the antiX FAQ reveals a number of such pleasant
surprises. They do good work. Vivat antiX! Semper sint in flore.

(My own notion of a 'GUI package manager' is apt-get in an xterm. My
own notion of how to make sure an application has superuser privilege
is to do 'su -' to get it. policykit? I don't need no steenin
policykit.)

--
Cheers,                          "Maybe the law ain't perfect, but it's the only
Rick Moen                        one we got, and without it we got nuthin'."