:: Re: [DNG] Sort-of one-off thanks me…
Author: Rainer Weikusat
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Sort-of one-off thanks message
Rainer Weikusat via Dng <dng@???> writes:
> Bernard Rosset via Dng <dng@???> writes:
>> Thank you for those precious steps on how to swap a kernel version in
>> an ISO!
>
> [...]
>
> Something I should have mentioned as well:

Another I forgot about: The default kernel RAM block device size is
4M. This is way too small for an uncompressed initrd image and will
result in a "short write" (n of m bytes written, 0 < n < m) error message
during boot[*]. To get around this, an rd_size=<xxx> option needs to be
added to the kernel command-line, with <xxx> being a size (in K) large
enough to hold the contents of an (uncompressed and unpacked) initrd
directory tree. It's probably prudent to round this up generously (I had
an initrd size of a little over 32M and used 65536 as size).

[*] Somewhat amusing: Searching for this error message on the web yields
all kinds of "no clue but have you tried ... ?" pieces of advice. The
most original one I found was: "Open your computer, take out the DIMMs
and put them back in again".