:: Re: [DNG] Fw: looking for a replace…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Fw: looking for a replacement for debian since systemd
On Wed, 18 Dec 2019 07:03:13 +0100 (CET)
freemedia via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Steve Litt wrote:
>
> > Not Gentoo --- they're slowly sliding toward systemd.
>
> this is important to me, and ive looked for more information on the
> gentoo forums and website, and i cant find the trend.
>
> ive admired your criticism of systemd for a long time:
> http://techrights.org/wiki/index.php/Librethreat_Database#Gratuitous_interdependency
>
> so if i ask what about gentoo concerns you, its falling on a
> sympathetic ear. but im still extremely curious, if you can point me
> in the right direction.

1. In 2014 or 2015, I asked both Gentoo and Funtoo if they'd pledge
never to get entangled with systemd. Funtoo took the pledge, and
Gentoo declined.

2. Gentoo has worked hard at becoming systemd compliant, and offers
systemd.

Now in all fairness, Funtoo now offers systemd too, and neither Funtoo
nor Gentoo have systemd as their default init system, according to
distrowatch.com. So my opinion could be a little outdated. So at this
point the comparison between Gentoo and Funtoo regarding systemd is a
subjective opinion of Steve Litt, it's outdated, so I'm withdrawing it.
Certainly either would be an improvement over a systemd-default OS like
rehat, centos, ubuntu, debian, and the like.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2019 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21