:: [DNG] raspberry pi build - missing…
Author: s
To: arnt
CC: dng
Subject: [DNG] raspberry pi build - missing lines in /proc/cpuinfo
>On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 03:47:56 +0100
>Arnt Karlsen <arnt@???> wrote:

>> On Tue, 10 Dec 2019 22:32:29 +0000, s@po wrote in message
>> <20191210223229.13b34daeb0ce03b64f74d2b1@???>:
>>
>> > Even tough that the Userspace is Armel, the Kernel is armhf..
>
> ...which was raspberrypi.org's big messy goof, calling their
> debian armel architecture fork "armhf", rather than calling
> their first product e.g. "raspberrypi" or some such original
> name for their first original armel_6_+7ish_hard_float arch.

ARM is the one to blame..
They initially told people that armv6 with vfp will be included in aarch32..

But then,
When they created aarch32( the real one...armv7...it has a vfpv3 at least I believe, vector extensions were droped in favour of SIMD NEON 1.0.. ), that idea was droped..
So armv6 could not be in aarch32.. because aarch32 or armv7, is a new architecture..

So compilers for Hardfloat target armv7 only,
And not armv6( for which some processors have vfp.. )

So you end with armel for armv6 with vfp( that's why I compiled kernel with hardfloat support, but the userspace is Devuan, so armel.. ).
Also,
Armel targets ARMv5T, ARMv6( unfortunatly even processors armv6 with vfp, are in that group of arm32 != aarch32 )

--
tux <tuxd3v@???>