:: Re: [DNG] Devuan cannot exist witho…
Author: Denis Roio
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Devuan cannot exist without the help of Debian
On Sat, 23 Nov 2019, Andrew McGlashan via Dng wrote:

> I have tried ASCII 2.0 -- but it looks like there is a new 2.1
> version just about to be announced?

yes, there is a 2.1 ready and most of it is thanks to the passionate
work of volunteers, among the few fsmithred, rrq, golinux,
centuriondan and evilham. I believe there wouldn't be this point
release without them. Only the VM and ARM images are lagging behind,
which is mostly my fault. The place of reference is always
files.devuan.org and the release notes are updated
https://files.devuan.org/devuan_ascii/Release_notes.txt

Devuan's history can be easily traced connecting people and versions,
which also shows how much of the sustainability of our project is
bound to individual initiative and vision. Devuan is not resilient.
If Debian stops providing the forest around our cultivated patch, our
plants will die.

the VUA will announce the 2.1 point release tomorrow, on Monday. I
believe all of us are motivated to continue in our best capacity to
support Devuan, but I really do not want to see any of the great
people involved burn out because of an incommensurable challenge.

what we can also try is to scale Devuan's effort with an enterprise
approach, but then we need clear commitment from at least one strong
and reliable industrial partner.

all this of course IMHO, I'm not speaking for Devuan, but sharing with
you my personal opinions on this project

ciao