:: Re: [DNG] X-server does not load co…
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] X-server does not load compiled nvidia's bond driver on Devuan-3.
On Mon, 23 Sep 2019 15:03:29 +0200, Stefan wrote in message
<201909231503.29215.linux@???>:

> Am Sonntag, 22. September 2019 schrieb Андрей via Dng:
> > Приветствую.
> >

> > I can not install nvidia's bond driver on Devuan-3. The installation
> > goes well, module is compiled and put
> > into /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/... . But xserver keeps saying
> > that nvidia module is not found. What ca be wrong? I tried with both
> > available versions for the legacy drivers: 340 and 390. All the
> > same. Yet i know, that 340-th worked for me, before i tried to
> > upgrade to 390. But since 390-th did not work i returned to 340-th,
> > but 340-th also does not work now. X-server says the same for both,
> > and when i did purge the packages, the uninstall proccess told me.
> > that the compiled drivers were in use. So, seems, it is x-server
> > for some reason can not find the drivers OR compiling proccess puts
> > them now to a wrong place.
> >
> > So, any ideas?
>
> Is the nvidia kernel module actually loaded by the kernel?
>
> $ lsmod | grep nvidia
>
> If not, can you load the modules manually?
>
> $ modprobe nvidia

..first try: sda3:~# modinfo nvidia # to see if you have it at all.
modinfo: ERROR: Module nvidia not found. # I don't, I use nouveau,
works surprisingly well for me.

..sda3:~# modprobe -nvr nvidia # test run to see what it would do IRL.
modprobe: FATAL: Module nvidia not found.
sda3:~# modprobe -nvr nouveau # BOO!!! ;o)
modprobe: FATAL: Module nouveau is in use.
sda3:~# modprobe -h # to see more advice on usage. Back to Stefan: