:: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Se…
Author: Plasma
To: devuan-dev
Subject: [devuan-dev] Notes - Devuan meet Sep. 18, 2019
And now for your kind attention, the devuan-dev meet notes for
Wednesday, September 18th, 2019.

plasma41

# Devuan meet Sept. 18, 2019 @20:30 UTC

Pad is here:
https://pad.dyne.org/code/#/2/code/edit/PFlQtgpV3d-Eh5z6IyuaBhQC/

Meet here: https://vdc.dyne.org/devuan
   * Please post notes prior to the meet.
   * Please add your name as 'Present' below when you get to the
     meet.
   * When adding a comment in someone else's notes, please
     pre-pend your name like this: (whoever) whatever . . .

Present: golinux, mason, plasma41, rrq, Evilham

## Old Business
- (gl) what is the verdict on adding AVMultimedia to the derivatives
list. fsr . . . were you able to research the possible non-free
elements of the software that creates the isos? Will it be a show
stopper?
- (mason and plasma) will look

### rrq

- devuan-dak set up in progress
- base system up, but not yet populated
- needs test and migration plans

- devuan-ci
- needs set up plan
- Jenkins test and migration plans

- releasebot (currently running on nextime-dak)
- needs test and migration plans

- Devuan beowulf netinstall iso
  - currently Devuan's debian-installer lacks beowulf branding. Probably
    it's all available, but it needs to be placed into the project
    and package
    - (gl) Installer banner etc. waiting for you on transfer.sh.
      Check irc
  - should include lvm and cryptfs options?
  - should change auto partitioning for swap?
    "partman-auto.udeb" is configured for a hard 100%\*RAM lower limit,
    regardless of disk size. I think this is a bad choice; e.g., for a
    VM with 2G RAM and 2G disk, the automatic partitioning gives away
    almost all of the disk to swap, leaving (as I rememeber) 138 M disk
    to the root file system. A tiny size OS requires well over 138 M.
    rrq suggest to change swap default to have 10 M lower limit.
  - other fixes?
  - which architectures?
  - fix mirrors choice list

- Devuan beowulf offline DVD iso
  - needs Centurion_Dan to set up the build host with enough disk space,
    or an alternative
  - rrq hand over to someone else?

- (gl)translator for documentation?

## Old Actions
- (gl) need to redo registration questions on d1g
  - rrq will send to plasma41 and golinux (a gentle reminder even though
    I know why it hasn't been done)
    - Got it. Thanks
    - Have sent revised questions.  Please review and if OK, please
      replace on FluxBB

## New Business

- (gl) mason has written an excellent Free Software replacement page for
the website. Version very close to the final edit is here and
following:
https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20190917.201831.ed9d390c.en.html
- (gl) When should the banner link to the conference page in the website
header move to the Team page? It has been nearly 6 months and with
the repercussions from that time, I personally would like to turn the
page. I suggest to move it to the new location at the time of the
beowulf release.
- (gl) I have removed reference to the us package mirror from the
website but this from mason:
"FWIW, my having that [us mirror] comes from the installer popping it
in, so we might want to address that as well."

- (rrq) would like to set up "port knocking" for the ssh access to all
Devuan hosts. The current use of sshguard results in lengthy iptables
rule chains, with degraded networking for "good" traffic. The similar
"snaplock" approach is ok for http(s), which is supposed to be public.

- (evilham)
  - Patch for amprolla to fix locking needs review:
    https://git.devuan.org/devuan-infrastructure/amprolla3/merge_requests/2
    https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20190914.151803.224e1f02.en.html
  - What is lists.devuan.org?
  - Monitoring for the mirror network is working, IPv6 support was added
    to deb.devuan.org.
    - Simple interface on https://status.dev1.cloud
    - A couple minor outages and a couple somewhat big outages have been
      detected like that.
    - One of the outages was a deb.debian.org host, was solved on their
      side before reporting. (Apparently another one is ongoing)
    - DNS TTL was lowered to 30min, that allows us to react to outages
      and remove hosts as needed. (currently jaromil and evilham have
      access to the roundr.devuan.org zone)
    - Multiple mirror misconfigurations were detected and fixed with
      the admins.
    - Integration for deep integrity tests is still missing
      Crappy interface on https://dev1.cloud/mirrors
    https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20190913.135358.df3385db.en.html
  - All the wikis and *relevant* random documents that were found are
    centralised. All other projects with documentation/wikis have been
    marked as "archived".
    https://git.devuan.org/devuan-doc/documentation
    https://lists.dyne.org/lurker/message/20190917.121948.ed2bd073.en.html

## New Actions

- rrq start discussion on solutions to DNS problem

### LeePen

- New versions of policykit and consolekit built for ceres: policykit
now has transitional packages to block debian packages leaking in
unopposed; consolekit build includes fix to ensure it depends on the
right policykit flavour. Once they are tested we can migrate
to/rebuild for beowulf.

- Started reviewing tasksel. Tree for review available by the end
of the week.