:: Re: [devuan-dev] Use of wikis on gd…
Author: golinux
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Use of wikis on gdo
On 2019-08-30 11:42, Evilham wrote:

[snip]

I tried to find all the mentioned pieces scattered here and there and
just gave up. So yes, please move any populated wiki content to a
central location where it can be sorted. It will be much easier to
organize there.

> # A. Project exists just for the wiki
>
> ## Various 'official' documentation
> * devuan-doc/manuals
> * devuan/devuan-documentation
> * devuan/devuan-project
> * devuan/devuan-maintainers
>
> Out of these, basically only devuan-project and devuan-maintainers
> have any content.
>
> ## dev1fanboy/Upgrade-Install-Devuan
> This one is a bit special, wiki and repository appear to be very
> similar; hopefully they are pretty much the same.

It looks like the repository and wiki have slightly different content.
The pages on the site could be slightly different also. The latest merge
-
https://git.devuan.org/nylen/devuan-www/commit/c92e8a1269cabd38f5cca017b65409aa7fa8f613
- was on the repository and merged to www from there.

> On top of the above proposal to have a single wiki branch on a
> repository, I'd go further and recommend we merge all these projects
> into devuan/devuan-documentation, while maintaining attribution and
> git history for e.g. dev1fanboy's wiki.
> From a short IRC chat it appears that fsmithred and golinux agree this
> would be an improvement.

Fragmented documentation is useless imo. It should all be in one place
and grouped in categories. That may not be as easy as it sounds to get
it right.

> This should make it significantly easier to have an overview of these
> things.
> On that note: the contents of all of these wikis is probably very
> outdated; this over-compartmentalising is likely at least partially at
> fault.
>
> Since GitLab / gitea / whatever do render markdown/asciidoc documents
> properly when browsing a repository, we could even disable the wiki
> and just import the documents to a 'wiki' branch that is the default.
> This would enable by-passers to change the pages and create Merge
> Requests.

Simpler to have the wikis in the repository.

[snip]

> # B. Project does not have a specially useful wiki
>
> ## devuan-editors/devuan-art
> @golinux:
> Maybe the contents of the wiki could go to a docs directory in the
> main branch instead.

There is an outline on the devuan-art wiki but no content except for the
c/p init freedom icon. I balked at populating the outline because art
cannot be reduced to raw data - color is relative to other elements in
the visual environment.

> ## devuan-editors/devuan-www
> @golinux:
> I doubt anyone looks at the wiki for this repository. If there is
> anything useful it should be moved to a docs directory in the main
> branches.

There is some interesting stuff in there which I didn't know existed but
much of it now obsolete. That can be sorted once it's relocated. Still
a bit much of a head trip for me.

[snip]

> # C. Project appears to be useless (right now)
>
> Maybe these were useful in the past, maybe they never came to be.
> Either way, I'd think these projects should be marked as archived and
> revived if applicable in some future.
>
> ## devuan-editors/devuan-news
>
> ## devuan-infrastructure/Installer_Feedback
> @Centurion_Dan:
> Unsure if this is used anywhere, it doesn't look like it's ever been
> used though.

I trust your judgment as long as devuan-news is available an option if
someone wants to start it up again. Please keep the published
newsletters for historical purposes - maybe in an archive

golinux