:: Re: [DNG] Help to install LiLo to a…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help to install LiLo to a GPT HDD.
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 21:07:42 +0700
Андрей via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Приветствую.
>

> Please help to install LiLo to a GPT HDD.
>
> Situation: I move installed OS from one drive (DOS partition scheme)
> to another (3 TB, GPT partition scheme). The motherboard is old: BIOS,
> Athlon 3000+. I have created single 2.7 TiB partition on which did
> place the installed OS. Did mount to it /proc, /dev, /sys.
> Changed /etc/lilo.conf with boot and root parameters according
> to the new drieve IDs. ChRooted to it, typed lilo. LiLo gave only one
> warning, that the drive is not the first one.
>
> Result: BIOS tells me that the drive capasity is 801 GB instead of
> 3000. Well, for working as non bootable drive it worked alright.
> But booting from the new drive gives me L 99 99 99 ... error. -- The
> geometry problem, as i get it. And it halts booting.
>
> Now. From Slackware site i read, that it is possible to install LiLo
> on a GPT-HDD, but is not specified how, and as i remember, even,
> without an additional "technical" partition.
>
> So, how do i install LiLo so that it boots OS from the GPT-drive?

If I remember from my LILO days, LILO couldn't reach out 2.7 GB to find
a kernel. So what you did, back in the day, was make a small partition
right at the front of the disk for /boot. Then you put the real
partition(s) in the remaining space.

So mount the boot partition and the root partition, then chroot install.

I don't think it had as much to do with GPT as the huge /dev/sda1. If I
remember correctly, GPT puts a fake MBR right where you'd expect an MBR
to be, and that fake MBR has all the right information, so I think LILO
should be OK with that.

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2019 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28