:: Re: [DNG] Future of gNewSense: Debi…
Author: aitor_czr
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Future of gNewSense: Debian or Devuan?
Hi again,

On 9/8/19 20:50, aitor_czr wrote:
> Hi,
> On 1/8/19 17:45, fsmithred via Dng wrote:
>> There's not really anything to yank out. Don't have a non-free repo
>> and don't put non-free firmware on the installer isos. They probably
>> also want to use a libre kernel. This is not a difficult task, and
>> gnuinos already does this.
>
> You already have a repository available for this task:
>

> deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged <codename> main
> deb-src http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged <codename> main
>
> deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged <codename>-updates main
> deb-src http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged <codename>-updates main
>
> deb http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged <codename>-security main
> deb-src http://packages.gnuinos.org/merged <codename>-security main
>

> being <codename> jessie, ascii or beowulf. Just add the gpg key of
> gnuinos:
>
> |$ curl -L https://packages.gnuinos.org/gnuinos_pk.asc | sudo apt-key
> add -|
>
> |and update the repository.|

>> If devuan ever provides a free/libre repo and release, it will be in
>> addition to the one that provides non-free firmware for the same
>> reasons you state below. This is something that's been discussed at
>> meetings several times, and I think we're all in agreement.
>

> On the other hand, the official kernel of debian has been removed from
> the repository of gnuinos and replaced by linux-libre.
> If you want to build your own repository, you will need to patch both
> reprepro and amprolla in order to use them together (in the concrete
> case of gnuinos, because you can find also your own way).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Aitor.

Textual words:

[...] Release four distinct versions of gNewSense, including a
distribution that includes a subset
of packages for a focused user experience, one that is essentially
vanilla Debian with our
freedom improvements, a developer edition with the latest and greatest
GNU development tools,
and a server edition that is based on the work of the Devuan community
[...]

taken from:

http://www.gnewsense.org/next-steps/

Cheers,