:: Re: [DNG] Firefox-esr freezes ASCII
Author: Arnt Karlsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Firefox-esr freezes ASCII
On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 06:24:56 -0400, fsmithred wrote in message
<72121d31-c37a-3b43-1ebb-0cb2643103d4@???>:

> On 7/9/19 4:34 AM, Edward Bartolo via Dng wrote:
> > For the information of everyone:
> >
> > I would like to inform all those concerned that firefox-esr is
> > causing ASCII to freeze. Getting access to a terminal is almost
> > impossible. Yesterday, I had to power off the machine. I did not
> > investigate why the issue is happening as the system became
> > extremely unresponsive. Recalling when I used MS Windows
> > 95/98/Millenium, this is worse than those.
> >

> I get the same in jessie. It starts when memory use gets to around
> 75% or more. It hasn't happened to me in ascii, but the box that has
> ascii also has 8G ram.
>
> Recently, I read something that said firefox will require 2-3G of
> memory in the near future. We can look forward to more of this
> happening.
>
> What I do when it starts to slow down is ctrl-alt-F2, log in and
> start killing programs. Thunderbird is usually on that kill list,
> because it takes a lot of ram, too. If I wait too long to do that, it
> freezes. At some point, even sysrq keys won't work.

..I run all my browsers "nice -n 17 " or lower pri and kill
'em when they get sluggish, buys me time to do manual kills
on e.g. htop, in bad cases I ssh in to kill.

..also possible to deny them cpu and memory and automate
killing them as they try outgrow their resource quota,
but "nice -n 17 " has worked ok for me this far.

Scenarios always come in sets of three: