:: Re: [DNG] Firefox-esr freezes ASCII
Author: fsmithred
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Firefox-esr freezes ASCII
On 7/9/19 4:34 AM, Edward Bartolo via Dng wrote:
> For the information of everyone:
>
> I would like to inform all those concerned that firefox-esr is causing
> ASCII to freeze. Getting access to a terminal is almost impossible.
> Yesterday, I had to power off the machine. I did not investigate why
> the issue is happening as the system became extremely unresponsive.
> Recalling when I used MS Windows 95/98/Millenium, this is worse than
> those.

I get the same in jessie. It starts when memory use gets to around 75% or
more. It hasn't happened to me in ascii, but the box that has ascii also
has 8G ram.

Recently, I read something that said firefox will require 2-3G of memory
in the near future. We can look forward to more of this happening.

What I do when it starts to slow down is ctrl-alt-F2, log in and start
killing programs. Thunderbird is usually on that kill list, because it
takes a lot of ram, too. If I wait too long to do that, it freezes. At
some point, even sysrq keys won't work.

fsmithred