:: Re: [DNG] Runit service depend anot…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Runit service depend another script not daemon
On Mon, 08 Jul 2019 11:03:36 +0200
Martin Steigerwald <martin@???> wrote:

> viverna - 06.07.19, 15:58:
> > il devuanizzato Steve Litt <slitt@???> il
> > >
> > >You know much more than I do about packaging. Given something like
> > >event "DPkg::Post-Invoke", all it would need to do is call a
> > >shellscript, with the argument of the daemon name, and the
> > >shellscript could make the necessary symlinks or whatever. All the
> > >heavy lifting would still be done in the runit-runscripts
> > >package.
> >
> > Put my code here.
> >
> > Work for epoch init system but it is adaptable to any other such as
> > runit, s6 and so on...
>
> Thanks a lot for your code contribution
>
> I was not even aware of epoch init system.
>
> https://universe2.us/epoch.html
>
> https://universe2.us/epochconfig.html

I'm not sure Epoch is still being maintained, but when I used it it was
an outstanding init system. I wrote about it here:

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm#pure_epoch_init_system

and here

http://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/init/manjaro_experiments.htm#getting_epoch_running

First, it's pure, 100% serial instantiation[1]. No "parallel"
instantiation, so things like process prerequisites are handled simply
by the ordering of the "objects" (like systemd unit files) within the
config file. You might think serial instantiation would be slow, but
that wasn't my experience. Epoch booted faster than runit or sysvinit.
I was able to set up systemd to boot faster, but it took some doing,and
do systemd wrong and it makes sysvinit look supersonic.

Epoch is easy for anyone to understand, and is configurable by a user
with a minimum of muss and fuss.

[1] Epoch has a FORK ObjectOption that appears to be able to run a
    given service concurrently with the rest of the init process. Might
    be handy for stuff expected to take a long time.

I've used runit for 4 years and am used to it and love it, but for
certain simple setups, Epoch is wonderful.

SteveT

Steve Litt
July 2019 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist