:: [DNG] Installing sysv-init under De…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Installing sysv-init under Debian Buster
Hi List,

Noting here a solution from the debian-user mailing list.

I'm aware there's a team working for init system flexibility
on Debian and send my kudos and beer vouchers to them :-)

==== quoted message follow ====
> On Jun 27, 2019, at 12:42 AM, Rick Thomas <rbthomas@???> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 25, 2019, at 11:20 PM, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@???> wrote:
>>
>> Seems this would work as well, with less collateral damage:
>>
>> apt install -y sysvinit-core elogind
>> apt --purge autoremove
>>

> This works great and, as noted, is far more elegant.
>
> Thanks, Jonas!
> Rick

A warning about all of these solutions: They will remove the package, network-manager.
Sometimes this may rewrite the “/etc/network/interfaces” file. You can loose network connectivity after a reboot as a result.
Be prepared to login to the console and fix that up manually if it happens.

Another work-around is to, before doing any apt stuff at all, put a suitable fragment into the “/etc/network/interfaces.d/“ directory that configures at least one of your network interfaces the way you want it. As an example, on my test system I have:

> $ cat /etc/network/interfaces.d/enp0s3
> auto enp0s3
> iface enp0s3 inet dhcp

Hope it helps!
Rick

--
Joel Roth

"Welcome to the World Heat Bank, where we store your waste
energy and return it with interest."