:: Re: [devuan-dev] Free software ques…
Author: golinux@devuan.org
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Free software question
On 2019-06-17 19:19, Plasma wrote:
> On 6/15/19, golinux@??? <golinux@???> wrote:
>> That is exactly why I posted for discussion here. Thanks to both
>> Martin
>> and Evilham for stepping up and starting the conversation. On
>> #devaun-dev plasma41 also offered to help and I'm hoping that more of
>> you will join in. This could very well result in a page for the
>> website/wiki/forum that would clarify Devuan's position on free
>> software.
>
> golinux,
>
> Would you please respond with the following message. I've also attached
> my response as a valid markdown document that can be used as a starting
> point if you would like to incorporate any of it into the website
> and/or
> wiki.
>
> Thanks,
> Plasma

> Greetings Porto,
>
> Thank you for your enthusiasm about Devuan and free software. I too
> would personally love to see Devuan endorsed by the FSF as compliant to
> the [GNU Free System Distribution Guidelines][GNU FSDG]. Unfortunately,
> Devuan, in its current form, is not compliant to the guidelines for the
> same [reasons][why-not-debian] Debian is not compliant. As a stated
> goal
> of Devuan is to provide a seamless upgrade path from Debian, this is
> unlikely to change. The inclusion of non-free firmware on the install
> media of current Devuan releases further disqualifies Devuan from FSF
> endorsement.
>
> [GNU FSDG]:
> https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html
> [why-not-debian]:
> https://www.gnu.org/distros/common-distros.html#Debian
>
> However, there are several projects to create a GNU FSDG-compliant
> distribution using Devuan as a base that you may be interested in
> exploring:
>
> * [Gnuinos][] aims to create a lightweight general-purpose Devuan
> derivative with the goal of becoming an FSF-endorsed distribution.
>
> [Gnuinos]: https://gnuinos.org/
>
> * [heads][] aims to provide a privacy-focused distro in the same vein
> as the Tails distribution. Like Tails, heads routes all network traffic
> through Tor, but unlike Tails, heads does not use systemd and does not
> include non-free firmware.
>
> [heads]: https://heads.dyne.org/
>
> * [EterTICs][] is a Latin American distribution for running community
> radio stations.
>
> [EterTICs]: https://gnuetertics.org/
>
> Hope this answers your questions and helps you find the best distro to
> meet your needs.
>
> Plasma

Very nice!! And thanks for putting this informative explanation
together. But as you read further in your email, you saw that I already
responded several days ago on Friday. If your text had been available
sooner the content would have been different. Sending another response
seems a little strange to me but if everyone thinks that's a good idea,
why not. Parts of it can certainly be worked into the free software
page.

Thoughts?

golinux