:: Re: [devuan-dev] Request for organi…
Author: Ivan J.
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Request for organization
On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 07:56:51PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
> On 2019-06-04 18:30, Ivan J. wrote:

> > > We have tried this approach many times like the "Post-ASCII Devuan
> > > bikeshed"
> > > mentioned by Evilham. My cryptpad drive is littered with such
> > > carcasses erm
> > > . . . pads. Pads kind of work but only if they are actively and
> > > continuously
> > > visited and updated. The pre-release sprint pads have been helpful
> > > while
> > > the long-term ones have not worked very well because they quickly
> > > become
> > > unruly, hopelessly confused and soon forgotten (like the bikeshed
> > > pad).
> >
> > This is why I'm trying to "force" a single pad for this. And I'm
> > choosing the pad because I don't want to introduce yet another platform
> > we should follow. If there's a single pad with these tasks, it should be
> > fairly simple for everyone to periodically check, just like email. If
> > there's many pads, it's not as easy.
> >

> Yes, a single pad is the only viable option but the question is how to
> manage it. It will require attention to keep it tidy, coherent and current.
> IOW it will be a scab that never heals and needs to be tended to. Would you
> be willing to take on that task?

Nobody specific has to take it up. It's just a matter of having a
standard way of filing them.

> > > Would be nice if it could be that neat. When discussion is required
> > > things
> > > can quickly get messy and confused and as always, soon forgotten.
> >
> > It's always possible to organize a specific meeting if the need arises.
> > For asynchronous discussion, a mailinglist serves quite well.
> >

> Unless it's urgent, it might just be easier to do it at our scheduled
> Wednesday rather than trying to find a another time to get together.
> Remember the last time we had to find a time, that's where we ended up
> anyway. Another time might be possible with just 1 or 2 people though.

It is not necessarily a video call. It can also be a conversation on
IRC.

> > > This would work well for those who do not interact with the
> > > community. For
> > > those of us who do, it creates extra work (so that others don't have
> > > to).
> >
> > Can you think of a compromise?
> >

> If we tag the items we post on the pad, we'll have a clearer view of how the
> reporting is distributed amongst us and who needs to step it up. I'm not
> pointing fingers here. I am really interested in how that would break down.
> I know that in my years here, I have done a lot of forwarding of issues to
> specific team members. If I pass, it's probably because I don't understand
> the issue well enough to explain it coherently. I'll probably be posting
> lots of links and quotes rather than trying to summarize..

I think you're forgetting about the meeting we had, that KatolaZ has
urged us to have. All of us should be well aware of what we are able to
do with confidence and then just pick up any task that we are confident
to do. If something is outstanding, then ask someone you want for help.
It's common sense.