:: Re: [devuan-dev] Request for organi…
Author: Ivan J.
To: devuan developers internal list
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Request for organization
On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 03:30:12PM -0500, golinux@??? wrote:
> On 2019-06-04 04:07, Ivan J. wrote:
> > Hello devs.
> >
> > I would like to propose an asynchronous task workflow that might benefit
> > all of us. I'm saying asynchronous, because due to our timezone
> > differences, and after all, general availability, we are not all able to
> > be in the same place at the same time to discuss things.
> >
> > My idea is to have a central pad that we can always access and place
> > tasks that need attendance in order of urgency on it. Something in
> > this[0] manner.
> >

> We have tried this approach many times like the "Post-ASCII Devuan bikeshed"
> mentioned by Evilham. My cryptpad drive is littered with such carcasses erm
> . . . pads. Pads kind of work but only if they are actively and continuously
> visited and updated. The pre-release sprint pads have been helpful while
> the long-term ones have not worked very well because they quickly become
> unruly, hopelessly confused and soon forgotten (like the bikeshed pad).

This is why I'm trying to "force" a single pad for this. And I'm
choosing the pad because I don't want to introduce yet another platform
we should follow. If there's a single pad with these tasks, it should be
fairly simple for everyone to periodically check, just like email. If
there's many pads, it's not as easy.

> > Once the tasks are in place, anyone picking them up would mark that it
> > has been picked up and possibly notify everyone else by sending an email
> > to devuan-dev@ and update everyone about the task's progress. Each task
> > would then have a thread of its own.
> >

> Would be nice if it could be that neat. When discussion is required things
> can quickly get messy and confused and as always, soon forgotten.

It's always possible to organize a specific meeting if the need arises.
For asynchronous discussion, a mailinglist serves quite well.

> > Depending on whoever thinks a task should be done, and wherever they
> > read it, they should put it up on the pad. Whether it's IRC, or a
> > Wednesday meeting, or a mailinglist, or d1g, it doesn't matter. What
> > matters is that there is a central place. I am not mentioning bugs.do
> > here because to me it seems that it might not work well for this issue.
> >

> This would work well for those who do not interact with the community. For
> those of us who do, it creates extra work (so that others don't have to).

Can you think of a compromise?

> > Please give me feedback on this so we can see if we can get things
> > moving again.
> >

> For me the problem is not so much reporting issues but communication about
> changes to the infrastructure that could create issues BEFORE they are done.
> IMO work on essential services deserves a mention that it is going to happen
> and possible discussion about the timing etc. By doing so, those of us
> interacting with the community can handle panic if things don't go as
> planned. Unilateral unannounced decisions made over the past few months have
> bit us several times (no need to repeat them here) and that should
> definitely be avoided in the future.

I agree. Again, the mailinglist is a good place to report these kind of
things. IRC is not permanent.