:: Re: [DNG] Java 8 on beowulf
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Java 8 on beowulf
Hi Steve.

Steve - 31.05.19, 02:47:
> A couple of weeks ago I upgraded to Beowulf and I see that it comes
> with openjdk 11. I have an app that needs java 8 so I was planning to
> have both installed, maybe use the script described here:
>
> https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/02/install-any-oracle-java-jdk-vers
> ion-in.html
>
> Any issues I need to be aware of? (Beside the obvious Don't use the
> same installation dir!)

Are you aware of the package 'java-package'? For a 3rd party software
that required Oracle SDK with Swing it generated a debian package for
me. Basically back then it turned

jdk-8u191-linux-x64.tar.gz

into

oracle-java8-jdk_8u191_amd64.deb

I do not remember how exactly I called it, but it was easy enough.

You still would need to update the package manually, so I only use it
for that special program and use update-alternatives to switch to the
lastest openjdk in Debian otherwise.

Thanks,
--
Martin