:: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-i…
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] logging uses of machine-id
On Thu, 14 Mar 2019 10:45:08 +0100
KatolaZ <katolaz@???> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 04:43:44AM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

> > By the way, how did you detect insertion? Were you using dmesg
> > --follow ?
> >

> Much easier than that: since I am normally the only person who inserts
> a stick in my computer, and I don't have any 100 meters long USB cable
> running through the neighbourhood, I don't need any particular method
> to "detect insertion", apart from being sober and using my own
> short-term memory :)

I feel like somebody asked me "who's buried in Grant's Tomb" and I
answered "Lincoln". *Of course* you know when a stick has been inserted.

In my personal case, I'd dedicate and easy right hand keystroke to
running the shellscript, because my left hand will be returning from
the computer's USB port at the time. I'd also add stuff to the
shellscript to detect and mount every partition on the just-inserted
stick.

SteveT