:: [DNG] Trying out beowulf.
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Trying out beowulf.
On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 08:17:39PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 02:31:06PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> > On Thu, Mar 07, 2019 at 08:13:01AM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> >
> > [cut]
> >

> > > Is beowulf already in a state where it is generally useable for an ordinary
> > > user on a laptop? Except maybe a few quirks like the one we're now
> > > debugging? If so I'll upgrade soon and look for problems. I'd prefer not
> > > to have to downgrade or reinstall if my system becomes unusable.
> > >

> > Define "ordinary user on a laptop". I have been using beowulf since
> > about 8 months ago on my laptop, and haven't experience any major
> > breakage (but I should probably also definne "major breakage"
> > here). My impression is that beowulf is pretty usable, but I am not
> > running a DE so my experience does not cover session-related automagic
> > goodies.
>
> That's good enough for me. Thanks.
>

> > It would be great if more people would actually move on beowulf as
> > soon as possible, so that we can identify as many glitches as possible
> > and put together a beta of beowulf.
>
> I plan to upgrade this weekend.

Upgraded more or less uneventfully. Now on beowulf, but I haven't rebooted
yet, so am running on an old kernel.

I did aptitude update, and then, several times, aptitude upgrade.
Each upgrade seems to have done further things, and I'm not sure yet if
it has reached a fixed point.

Several packages have been left unconfigured: sendmail-bin, sendmail,
and sensible-mda.

I generally don't use sendmail, since I read and write mail on another
system. I don't know what sensible-mda is.

I'm using LXQt; its appearence has changed (without me explicitly restarting
it). In particular, the clock that used to be on the bottom bar has
disappeared. But the space it occupied is still there and reacts when I
click on it.

I will investigate when I'm awake. It's bedtime.