:: Re: [Squatconf] unknownOS and riseu…
Author: Patrice Riemens
To: squatconf
Subject: Re: [Squatconf] unknownOS and riseup.net (Fungi4All)
On 2019-03-01 12:00, squatconf-request@??? wrote:

> Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2019 17:17:14 +0000
> From: Fungi4All <fungilife@???>
> To: holger krekel <holger@???>
> Cc: "squatconf@???" <squatconf@???>
> Subject: [Squatconf] unknownOS and riseup.net
> Hello all,
> I recently discovered a new linux distribution by the name of unknown
> OS, I am testing it myself, I am not recommending it. It is debian
> based and has many anonymity and privacy/security features built in
> it, among usual pen-testing tools. It is big.
> What I found puzzling is that among their block list of domains, there
> are state agencies of many countries, large corporations, and
> riseup.net. There isn't much information on their site on the why but
> I am wondering whether anyone has heard anything negative about them
> that I am not aware of. I thought riseup was a pretty much a safe
> heaven for activists worldwide with the security of being among too
> many unknowns. What could be a reason for them to block it?
>
> Gus

The only reason I can think of (NB: IANAC applies) is that riseup is
domicilied in the US which sends all sorts of red lights lighting up on
the panels of more hardcore politburo coders. In fact I think it's not a
very good reason to block since they are quite robust at defending
privacy. But then, of course they operate under US law ...

Cheerio, p+7D!