:: Re: [DNG] upgrade to ascii dkim sto…
Author: info at smallinnovations dot nl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] upgrade to ascii dkim stopped working
On 28-02-19 08:08, KatolaZ wrote:
>> Apparently opendkim 2.11 has been polluted/infected by systemd. Lots of
>> systemd bugreports, notes about being a native systemd daemon but simply
>> not working from postfix. I downgraded opendkim from 2.11 to 2.9 and
>> everythings is working again.
>>
>> Of course i have now put a hold on 2.9 but my other systems will stay at
>> jessie for the foreseeable future.
>>
> Hi Nick,
>
> I don't know how you concluded that opendkim has been infected by
> systemd, and that this might result in a breakage. As a matter of
> fact, opendkim has no dependency on systemd or systemd-related stuff,
> not even indirect ones.
>
> I guess the opendkim package might be shipping a systemd unit file,
> but that cannot cause any breakage, since it is just a declarative
> initialisation file interpreted by systemd. And there is no way to get
> systemd running in Devuan, unless you download it from Debian repos.
>
> There must be something else going on, since there are several reports
> of perfectly-working opendkim installations in ascii and beowulf.
>
> HND
>
> KatolaZ

Hi Katolaz,

I have two main reasons to think it is:

1) the mail from apt-list changes news after upgrading:

opendkim (2.11.0~alpha-10+deb9u1) stretch; urgency=medium This updates
corrects an issue where the opendkim configuration file was not being
read. It also sets the opendkim user in the configuration file rather
than as part of the systemd service file. In order to have a correctly
working system post update, it is important not to reject the changes in
the package provided configuration file. This may require manually
integrating local changes with the changes provided in this update.
Failure to do this may result in the opendkim daemon running as root
instead of as its own user. In the updated configuration, opendkim will
initially start as root, read both it's configuration files and private
keys required for signing and then drop priviledges to the opendkim user
specified in the configuration file prior to start of normal operations.
-- Scott Kitterman <scott@???>Tue, 12 Sep 2017 23:36:11 -0400

opendkim (2.11.0~alpha-8) unstable; urgency=medium On systems using
systemd, this version replaces /etc/default/opendkim with the files
/etc/systemd/system/opendkim.service.d/overrride.conf and
/etc/tmpfiles.d/opendkim.conf carrying over non-default settings. --
Scott Kitterman <scott@???>Mon, 07 Nov 2016 12:14:31 -0500

2) this blogpost
https://jschumacher.info/2017/06/upgrading-to-debian-stretch-with-dovecot-postfix-opendkim/
which mentions that"During the system upgrade, opendkim daemon was
reconfigured as a native systemd daemon,which
meant */etc/default/opendkim* and */etc/init.d/opendkim* became
obsolete, even though I was asked to install the new package maintainers
version of /etc/default/opendkim."

My best guess is that somehow opendkim "thinks" that systemd has been
installed based on systemd files present on my system. I am very certain
that systemd is not running on my system. apt list systemd --installed
returns empty too. So may be i am wrong but i have not found any means
to get opendkim 2.11 working. Downgrading to 2.9 worked immediately and
because it is a production system i for now do not have more time to
investigate it any further.

Although i am preparing a clean install instead of a upgraded system
from Debian Wheezy to Debian Jessie to Devuan Jessie to Devuan ASCII.

Grtz,

Nick