:: Re: [devuan-dev] Gitlab upgrade tim…
Author: KatolaZ
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] Gitlab upgrade time
On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 10:05:25AM +1100, Ralph Ronnquist wrote:

[cut]

> The question is whether or not to go with that flow, and thus upgrade to
> 11.7.x. If not, the side question is: what's the alternative. Or rather,
> which of the several alternatives to go with.
>
> I'm quite familiar with "cgit" myself, and think it serves the purpose
> quite well. Though it comes totally without steak knifes, and I think it
> would require a sizable amount of upfront hands-on to fit into all our
> current uses of gitlab. (That in itself would on the other hand have a
> postiive side-effect of identifying and perhaps documenting those uses)
>
> But, I'm not attached to one way or the other, since my personal use of
> this is limited to repository access. I wouldn't be against; well, not
> strongly against, upgrading gitlab.

You probably already know my take on that: for the kind of use we make
of gitlab, I think it has always been overkill.

There are lighter and less-bloated alternatives which still provide a
simple user interface, and one of those is `gitea`
(https://gitea.io/).

I have used it for several dozens repos at work. Their public instance
has more than 2000 repos and loads stuff in a fraction of the time
needed to visit any page in our gitlab instance. It has Issues, PRs,
organisations, notifications, and a REST API in all similar to the
gitlab's one. It has no CI support, but we haven't used gitlab's one
at all (maybe with the only exception of the webpage repo, which can
be accommodated by a simple hook anyway).

It's actively developed and has not too much bloat around. We should
probably give it a try, e.g. by putting it in parallel to gitlab, and
then decide on the basis of a functional comparison. I can help with
that within a couple of weeks, if you like.

I remain convinced that we should put up a cgit instance anyway, since
it's useless to force people to access gitlab just to have a look at a
repo.

My2Cents

KatolaZ