:: [devuan-dev] Gitlab upgrade time
Author: Ralph Ronnquist
To: devuan-dev
Subject: [devuan-dev] Gitlab upgrade time
I dropped this lines on IRC before realizing it should be an email
discussion:
------------------
09:37 < rrq> how strong is our atachment to "gitlab" as web user
      interface (WUI) to the git repositiories?
09:38 < rrq> the gitlab software is gradually growing and expanding into
      new  functional areas, well beyond git repository browsing.
09:39 < rrq> do we follow that train into its nirvana? or do we step
      off?
09:41 < rrq> I prefer stepping off, of course, since I'm quite fond of
             simplicity.
09:43 < rrq> also, for me, a WUI is an "extra" that I don't use much; my
      git access is mostly "$ git ..."
09:46  * rrq realized that some people sleep in (my) daytime...
------------------

We are currently on the 11.4.x version series of gitlab, and it appears
that this series is being phased out as unsupported, since gitlab now is
at an 11.7.x series. That series, or any in between, introduces a range
of new functions for using the gitlab WUI for various of new/other
things apart from repository browsing.

The question is whether or not to go with that flow, and thus upgrade to
11.7.x. If not, the side question is: what's the alternative. Or rather,
which of the several alternatives to go with.

I'm quite familiar with "cgit" myself, and think it serves the purpose
quite well. Though it comes totally without steak knifes, and I think it
would require a sizable amount of upfront hands-on to fit into all our
current uses of gitlab. (That in itself would on the other hand have a
postiive side-effect of identifying and perhaps documenting those uses)

But, I'm not attached to one way or the other, since my personal use of
this is limited to repository access. I wouldn't be against; well, not
strongly against, upgrading gitlab.

Ralph.