:: Re: [DNG] Systemd as tragedy
Author: Massimo Coppola
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Systemd as tragedy
Hi all,
I don't contribute often to the list, but I really found irritating that after
setting a cuckoo egg in the nest someone comes and start telling everyone how
much nice is the deviant bird.

I think Lars Noodén already pointed out, the news is that the target of systemd
propaganda is the BSD world now.

I've listened to the youtube video while working, IMHO the speaker is
downplaying all the issues with bugs, insecure code and and feature bloat,
trying to cast systemd opposition as purely resistance to change. But change is
always good, isn't it? Poor systemd developers, they are just not gifted in
talking to open source developers...

But I guess there's no need either to list all technical systemd issues here, or
accept the unsound logic that unkind developers are the only reason of systemd
criticism. Unfortunately, there was not QA session after the talk, or I didn't
find it on youtube. I was curious about that.

I didn't know the guy before, but when he says that Poettering somehow always
gets thing done, taht he "delivers", this really is company-style talking to me:
if you have something to sell, everything is fine. If you are able to push your
ideas into someone else's machine, you are a genius.

Besides, one could say that "Lennart delivers" thanks to (massive corporate
backing and) a swarm of other guys running around and smooth talking everyone
into accepting the "new gospel".

Some of the problems systemd tried to tackle are real, so what?
- strawman fallacy, the criticism is toward systemd, not toward all the problems
it supposedly tackles
- periodically breaking things, blaming downstream and closing with WONTIFX is
well outside any sensible definition of "not being gifted in talking to a
software community"
- still, the rightfulness of a question isn't magic, it doesn't turn a
technically wrong answer into a correct one.

I can't really grok the fact that the speaker seems to work on BSD security...

Regards

    Massimo