:: Re: [DNG] Admins can you fix/set th…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Admins can you fix/set the header overrides?
Quoting Miles Fidelman (mfidelman@???):

> Speaking as someone who hosts a couple of dozen email lists, I
> really don't understand what the fuss is about here.

The fuss involved people having paid no attention to the announcement of
Dng's DMARC-mitigation munging starting on December 6th, and so being
confused by that and the appended Reply-To. And some people, including
you, still aren't getting that, even though it got re-explained
yesterday, encore une fois.

> If one runs a list, and wants folks on gmail, AOL - any service that
> honors p=reject - then one has to:
>
> 1. adjust headers so that list mail appears to originate from the
> list manager, not from the original author

Yes. But only where p=reject or p=quarantine..

> 2. publish DKIM & SPF records for the machine hosting the list

No, there's no obligation for either of those, to ensure deliverability
of mail munged by the MLM software for DMARC-mitigation purposes.

> Updating the mailman settings, and publishing the appropriate DNS
> records, is really a no brainer for any halfway competent list
> administrator.

Indeed, the Dng listadmins did exactly that, on Dec. 6th, following
instructions I provided. The whole thing was covered here at the time,
so I'm puzzled that so many people seem to have failed completely to
read the explanations.

> The folks who administer lists.dyne.org just need to do it.

{headdesk}

I'm sorry, but how were the several explanations of this matter,
including those just yesterday, unclear?