:: Re: [DNG] Admins can you fix/set th…
Author: Michael
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Admins can you fix/set the header overrides?
On Thursday 27 December 2018 05:06:04 am Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Speaking as someone who hosts a couple of dozen email lists, I really
> don't understand what the fuss is about here.
>
> DMARC breaks mailing lists - it's that simple. It breaks pretty much
> anything that forwards mail. (FYI: Early on, it broke the IETF's
> lists. Rather annoying, that.)
>
> If one runs a list, and wants folks on gmail, AOL - any service that
> honors p=reject - then one has to:
>
> 1. adjust headers so that list mail appears to originate from the list
> manager, not from the original author

1.) is my understanding of what TDE does. Here are some of the {snipped} TDE
headers:

From: Michael <{snip}@???>
To: trinity-users@???

My guess is it's either, or both together, Reply-To or Return-Path that make
the desired behavior change. Based upon the email ‘From: chillfan’ here that
doesn’t work that has in the headers:

instead of no ‘Reply-To:’ at all for messages here that do work.

(Return-Path seems to already be set.)
(Added the X- as TDE seems to authenticate me as a sender, where Devuan
doesn’t. No real idea if that’s relevant.)

# # #

As we seem to be way over thinking this....

Suggestion: Just try adding, or replacing if already present, the ‘Reply-To:’
for all messages with the value:

That’s not going to break the list, and will answer the question immediately.

Best,
Michael

[1] I would mangle that, but it’s clear text in the original.