:: Re: [DNG] Admins can you fix/set th…
Author: Miles Fidelman
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Admins can you fix/set the header overrides?
On 12/27/18 11:07 AM, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Miles Fidelman (mfidelman@???):
>
>> Speaking as someone who hosts a couple of dozen email lists, I
>> really don't understand what the fuss is about here.
> The fuss involved people having paid no attention to the announcement of
> Dng's DMARC-mitigation munging starting on December 6th, and so being
> confused by that and the appended Reply-To. And some people, including
> you, still aren't getting that, even though it got re-explained
> yesterday, encore une fois.

Ahh... missed that.  Didn't really notice anything until this huge
string of emails.  Sigh...

>> If one runs a list, and wants folks on gmail, AOL - any service that
>> honors p=reject - then one has to:
>>
>> 1. adjust headers so that list mail appears to originate from the
>> list manager, not from the original author
> Yes. But only where p=reject or p=quarantine..

Yes, indeed.

>> 2. publish DKIM & SPF records for the machine hosting the list
> No, there's no obligation for either of those, to ensure deliverability
> of mail munged by the MLM software for DMARC-mitigation purposes.

True, but it sometimes helps.  And it's easy enough if one has access to
one's nameserver records, as anyone who runs a list manager usually does.

>> Updating the mailman settings, and publishing the appropriate DNS
>> records, is really a no brainer for any halfway competent list
>> administrator.
> Indeed, the Dng listadmins did exactly that, on Dec. 6th, following
> instructions I provided. The whole thing was covered here at the time,
> so I'm puzzled that so many people seem to have failed completely to
> read the explanations.

Sorry to add to the noise - there was just so much of it.  My bad.

Cheers,

Miles

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra