:: Re: [devuan-dev] why is the build s…
Author: KatolaZ
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] why is the build so complex ?
On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 01:16:31PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult wrote:
> On 15.12.18 16:37, Ben Hutchings wrote:

[cut]

> >> When I look at the build rules, I really wonder why it's all so complex.>>>> Some things that IMHO contribute to that complexity:>>>> * several
> source trees - rt vs none:>>   --> can't we do this with one tree ?>>
> --> if necessary, fixup the rt patches, so they don't do anything in>>
>      non-rt build (eg. proper #ifdef's) ?> > That would be a huge amount
> of work to maintain.
> Initial work or permanent maintenance ?
> I agree that this takes some initial effort, and I'd like to volounteer
> for that.

Please, don't fork anything (and we are talking here of the kernel
packages) if you are not willing to guarantee maintenance at least for
a release cycle.

I would be totally against forking the linux kernel in Devuan, unless
there are solid, grave reasons for doing that, a team of at least 5/6
committed people who would take care of the package on a daily basis,
and only after having discussed enough possible alternatives. We are
not talking of a rarely used Haskell library here...

In general, I would assume that since the development team of the
"linux" package in Debian is relatively large, there must be a good
reason for any choice made by that team as a whoe. So I would start by
asking clarifications in their mailing list (I am pretty sure they
must collectively know much more than anybody in this list about that
specific package), before going down with hacking such a relatively
complex package.

Enrico, please understand that this is not a lack of trust in your
ability, just the humble recognition that the ability of a single man
is hard to be sufficient to manage the complexity of producing several
different binary packages from a single kernel source, especially when
the source package changes so quickly.

My2Cents

KatolaZ