:: Re: [devuan-dev] why is the build s…
Author: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: devuan-dev
Subject: Re: [devuan-dev] why is the build so complex ?
On 17.12.18 13:51, KatolaZ wrote:

> I would be totally against forking the linux kernel in Devuan, unless> there are solid, grave reasons for doing that,

The deeper I look into it, the more one important reason cryrstalizes
out: fully automatic and reproducable builds.

the current package (as it's in the git repo) is NOT meant for
automatic builds.

> In general, I would assume that since the development team of the> "linux" package in Debian is relatively large, there must be a good>

reason for any choice made by that team as a whoe. So I would start by>
asking clarifications in their mailing list (I am pretty sure they> must
collectively know much more than anybody in this list about that>
specific package), before going down with hacking such a relatively>
complex package.
Indeed, I asked them. They didn't answer anything about the actual
reasons. But at least got some hints, how it's supposed to be built.

I'll give it a try for few hours. If it's still failing, I'll throw
it away completely and go back to self-built mainline. Suck of wasting
my time with that nightmare anymore :(

--mtx

--
Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult