:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: karl
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Roger:
> Note that to return to the pre-merge policies would be an exercise in
> futility. It was already an exercise in futility back in 2011 because
> the number of libraries which /could/ be moved to /lib is an unbounded
> set. There's always another tool which /might/ be required, which pulls
> in yet more libraries, and their dependencies, and the dependencies of
> their dependencies and so on. It's a Sisyphean task.

It wouldn't be for a subset of booting setups. It is perfectly possible
for a certain set. If I make a make a kernel package, I can certainly
say that that this package supports direct boot to disk without initrd
and with a separate /usr, with the constraint that it don't support
e.g. lvm and other setups.

Why not agree on a certain set of programs/libs that should be in /bin,
/sbin, and /lib, just to not break my and others packages. That set
don't need to cover all booting possibilities.

Regards,
/Karl Hammar

Aspö Data
Lilla Aspö 148