:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Separate /usr without initramfs: /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 02:52:00PM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:

[cut]

>   My rants were an answer to a (former) Debian maintainer/devloper who
> was on this list justifying the necessity of Debian's / -> merge based
> on  the specific needs of datacenters or his own personal tastes.

You still haven't read the email by Roger (who is the former sysvinit
maintainer in Debian for several years, and knows what he is talking
about), and probably you haven't fully understood it. He explained
very well that the kind of mechanism he has implemented in initramfs
for the early boot (which is the same damn thing that brings your
computer up), has little or nothing to do with the massive merged-usr
transition proposed now in Debian. Actually, he did that to *avoid*
that a merged-usr was necessary at all. On top of that, the transition
to merged-usr in Debian is still under question, and will most
probably not happen in Buster. But you continue to bang your head
against the wall.

Roger has also explained that the rants about "not being able to boot
with a separate /usr and without initramfs" are totally pointeless,
since this has been the case in Debian and all the derivatives at
least since Wheezy was testing (i.e., about 7 years ago). If you
haven't noticed in the last seven years, I doubt it would make any
difference to you at all at this point.

>   Or, is Roger Leigh a Devuan maintainer or developer?

The fact that somebody is not a Devuan maintainer or developer does
not empower you to be rude or aggressive with him/her. Apparently you
are not a Devuan developer or maintainer either, so what? Shall we
stop reading your emails for this reason, or is the fact that your
emails are totally irrelevant to this thread (and your tone
inapprropriate for a civilised place) just enough?

A basic rule of civilised conversations is that you should treat other
people twice better than you would like them to treat you, especially
if you don't know them personally. You have been treating a lot of
people here very badly and irrespectfully. This behaviour is not
tolerated. Either you stop immediately, or your emails will be
moderated.

HND

KatolaZ