:: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to m…
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] /usr to merge or not to merge... that is the question
Quoting KatolaZ (katolaz@???):

> Unfortunately, most of this thread has been just about "oh look how
> cool MY setup is, oh I went around that, oh I tried this and that, oh
> I want to have /var on a tmpfs, oh I mount /usr over NFS and you
> should try it as well..." and so on and so forth.

Again, sorry if I annoyed, but I've merely responded to several people
who seemed either unaware of, or worse are aware of but proclaim
impractical or impossible or useless techniques of partitioning and
mount options that I've found useful and refined over decades of
professional experience. I wished to politely point out that those
people had erred, and to assist everyone. Judging by some expressions
of thanks, I at least helped some, and perhaps provided food for thought
to others.

I'll be delighted if I can make some of that deliverable through Devuan.
At the same time, despite the Debian Project motto, there is no such
thing as a universal operating system. To get full and proper use of
*ix, one must learn how to do local customisation above and beyond what
any distro installer will ever provide, and also when and how much it's
sensible to do so (and when and why it isn't). Conversations to
propagate that cultural tradition are part of our Unix heritage, and I
hope and expect are welcome here in moderation.